An intranet is a secure internal business network which enables collaboration, information sharing and effective communication of data between colleagues. An intranet can help organisations to streamline their internal processes and greatly enhance efficiency and productivity. In large organisations they serve as a central information point and can even be used to form a community, for example the use of staff notice boards and communication tools.
Carefully regulated user access controls will ensure that everyone has the correct level of access to resources and data. Intranets can include the following functionality and much more.
- Storage and retrieval of information such as telephone numbers, passwords and client contact information etc can be stored centrally and updated easily.
- Document management - enable collaborative working on documents, including version control.
- Business systems - record keeping and other administrative work can be standardised, thus reducing paperwork.
- Training database containing guides, user notes and tutorials - accessible to all.
- Integrated communications intranets to be used with email systems, or for distributing updates and bulletins straight to each employee's computer.
- Community building typically in larger companies, providing message-boards and forums etc.
The design and setup of an intranet system is a key procedure in order to create a well structured, indexable resource. Dimasoft's intranet design and information architecture is based upon our powerful in-house business database design solutions, and enables us to tailor our intranet products to specific requirements.